Sunday, June 18, 2006

Feeling the Burn

Yesterday I went out for a 6 mile run, with some rough hills thrown in around mile 3 and 5. Although it was a very warm day, I felt pretty good on the run. I was able to keep my HR in a reasonable zone, although admittedly I wish I had been faster than my 11 min pace. Oh well.

That afternoon my husband wanted to go for a short run. He has been dealing with a lot of knee problems and has been doing everything he can think of to try to fix them. Well, everything other than going to a doctor, because well... I don't really know. Maybe its MFDAS (male factor doctor avoidance syndrome). One of the things he has read is that running barefoot will actually strengthen the feet and legs and help cure some knee problems. So, yesterday we drove him to the soft track so he could attempt a barefoot run while the boys and I played on the grass. Since it was hot, he did a scientific test to determine the track wasn't too hot. After feeling it with his hand, he declared he was good to go. Exactly two laps into the run he hobbled off the track saying his feet hurt too much to run any more. The bottom of his feet are now badly blistered and he can barely walk. When he shakes his foot, he can feel the skin moving underneath. Ewwww.....The good news is that his knees didn't hurt at all!

We have determined, he will not be running the Badwater 135. If you don't know what I am talking about, rent the movie. If you think Ironman Triathletes are crazy, then these people will help change your definition. It is inspiring, amazing, and disturbing at the same time. Given her well documented phobia of ugly feet, Iron Will should avoid this movie.

Btw, if you haven't already, check out "Get Your Geek On" podcast #22. Kahuna does a piece on last week's open water swim. He actually called me Robo Bridget! I am so flattered!

12 Comments:

Blogger nancytoby said...

Barefoot running is for cavemen. Not for me. Not not not.

2:12 PM  
Blogger Fe-lady said...

Ouch! Didn't runner's world have an article not too long ago on barefoot running? I would keep my feet on the sand by the beach tho!
And yes the Badwater and Ultra people are definitely "fringe"-
try having a conversation with Pam Reed-(she has won it a couple of times)- I have, and you really can't unless it's all about her and running!
I hung around the Ultra crowd for awhile in the early 80s-knew I didn't quite fit in! Thankfully!
(They sure march to a different beat!)

4:31 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

OUCH! That looks like it really smarts! :/

6:15 AM  
Blogger tri-mama said...

I have one thought-infield-that's what it's there for. Barefoot running-especially when you don't spend much time barefoot is best done in sand, on grass, or even dirt. Look forward to hearing more adventures of RoboBridget :)

10:12 AM  
Blogger Keryn said...

Oh...oh...my feet are sore in sympathy! That looks awful!

5:38 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

Oh, ouch, ouch, ouch! Hope his feet are better soon!

8:54 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Your poor feet! Two words. Aloe vera! I love the male-fear-of-doctors! Very true. Ultrarunners are crazy and the Badman is the ultimate crazy!

9:03 PM  
Blogger Mojo said...

Thanks for posting that picture. I was thinking about trying to run barefoot during next week's double sprint. Your picture set me straight! :) Your poor hubby, why didn't he stop before the blisters started?

I'll have to check that movie out.

4:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » »

2:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP Find side effects of lipitor security home

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Как Вы считаете, на сколько поднимутся [url=http://profwoomen.ru/]пенсии[/url] после нового года?

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Чтож, сочинение интересная. Давайте подисскутируем… [url=http://profvesti.ru/o-stroitelstve-iz-penoblokov/121-tekhnologiya-stroitelstva-doma-iz-penoblokov.html]сахалинский строительный портал[/url]

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home